How I Buy at Amazon Store and Ship to Nigeria


I have had a lot of people ask me to explain how I manage to buy stuff from Amazon shops from Nigeria. The difficulty in buying from Amazon in Nigeria stems from the fact that Amazon is selective of items they ship to Nigeria. Secondly, since Amazon does not require your PIN, most Nigerian Banks issuing Visa cards will not release payment until and unless PIN is provided. I take two easy steps to overcome these difficulties.

First, I get a USA address for free and use it as my shipping address on my Amazon profile- more on that in later. Second;y, I use Zenith Visa card to make my payments.

My experience is that most Nigerian banks will not release payment until and unless the card holder inputs his/her pin. It is for the above reason I recommend Visa card from Zenith Bank Plc. You can inquire from your bank if they can allow your card make online payments without the PIN.



I like shopping on Amazon because it is by far cheaper, convenient, and I can get whatever I want from the comfort of my home and get it delivered to me within 2-3 weeks. Getting a free USA address for shipping your Amazon items to Nigeria is as easy as using the Post Office Box of a friend to receive your mails.

The need for the USA address, as I earlier remarked, stems from the fact that Amazon is selective of  purchased items been shipped to Nigeria. (There are some items they won't ship to Nigeria).

Let me draw an analogy of how the USA address system will work for the Amazon shopping and then continue to spell out how you can acquire your own address without fuss.

Just imagine Jide Ogunsanya as a shipping company with a P.O box in Benue State and has allowed me, Ebipade Enienghan, who live in Port Harcourt to use this address to accept my mails. I have registered with his shipping company so they have my Port Harcourt address details in their data base which becomes a forwarding address.

So whenever I make payments for goods in Benue, I use his shipping company’s address (P.O box) so the sellers send to the shipping company who receives and looks at their data base and forward same to me in Port Harcourt.

Now the use of the shipper’s address is free but shipping is not. The shipping will have their price and for international shipping it is charged mainly per pound weight or per kilogram weight. I currently pay 4 dollars per pound weight to ship from US to Lagos.

So How Do I Get Free US Address?

There are several shipping companies operating cargo services in Nigeria. My first advice is to approach the one you are familiar with or already have dealings with.

For me, I use Hont Global Services (http://www.hontglobal.com/contact.html) I have not tried any other. I really don’t think I need to look for another because I have found my shipping company very reliable. You can check their contact page and write to them. When they accept to have you onboard, they will send you a registration form to complete. Basically it is about your identity and forwarding address that are needed.

Once you have returned the completed form you will be created in their data base and you are ready to shop from Amazon or any other online shop for that matter with your Visa card. Remember, you will have to pay for shipping and international shipping is charged mainly per pound weight or per kilogram weight.

With this post of mine, I believe you will now find it easy to buy books online from Amazon store and even buy your Amazon Kindle and get it delivered to your doorstep in Nigeria. So go get your USA address and Visa card ready because next in this series I will show you how to use this address in your Amazon profile as well as the procedure I used to buy my Discovery Expedition Entertainment Projector.


If you do not know how to get your Visa card in Nigeria, read: "How I Got My Zenith Visa prepaid Card"

This is a guest post by Ebipade Enienghan.He owns a job site www.Nfreshgraduatesjobs.blogspot.com that shares only Fresh Graduates Jobs in Nigeria. You can send him a friend request on facebook at www.facebook.com/eenienghan and get latest job updates from Fresh Jobs Facebook Page



Comments

  1. Hello Jide,
    Its not true that Amazon does not ship directly to Nigeria. I have purchased a lot of stuff using my GTBank Visa card which is dollar denominated and it was shipped to my house through the courier I chose. However I suspect that Amazon does not accept the GTBank Naira card, cos I had a client who could not make payment with it so I advocate that one could use the GTBank USD Visa Card and it would be shipped to Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has been confirmed that some items can be shipped directly to Nigeria but NOT ALL, hence using the service of a shipper like Hont Global Services will really make it possible for one to get any item from the Amazon store even if Amazon can't ship it directly to Nigeria.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2/10/2012

    What an eye opener. I will contact Hont Global services asap. This will surely be so helpful than those expensive pay4me services out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a nice idea to contact them. Pay4me services dictate the exchange rate at which they are paying for you and most times I have found about 2 to 4 naira differential in exchange rate.

      Their shipping rates are also more expensive, typically 5 to 6 dollars per pound weight. With Hont Global you sure will get good rates and delivery is between 2-3 weeks which is acceptable to me,

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    Thanks for your guide dude, but it is now easier to ship from Amazon as a Nigerian. Just call their customer care line and tell them your plight, they will allow you to ship to Nigeria from the site. They would do it by themselves..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right but still not applicable to all items on Amazon store.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7/02/2012

    Are shoes able to be shipped from amazon directly to nigeria?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ebipade enienghan7/03/2012

      Yes. Anything you can think of in Amazon provided it is not contraband. Shoes? Definitely

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7/25/2012

    i like to know what and what are not contraband to buy for shipping to Nigeria.?
    Am Adeyemi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This article at MyUs.com will give you ideas of such items.

      Delete
  6. They sent me a form and in a section, I saw a space for a foreign company. I don't have a foreign company. Am I to leave it blank? Also, I live in kaduna, so when my package gets to Lagos, who is going to deliver it to kaduna? Is it Nigerian postal service or the shipping companies affiliates? I'm asking this because I know you have experience with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same problem with Zaharadeen above. What do they mean by foreign company?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Love To Hear From You But Don't Spam Us With Links!

Want to be notified when I reply your comment? Tick the "Notify Me" box.

If your comment is unrelated to this post or you're trying to ask question about an old post, please drop it at our discussion platform here.

THANKS.