How To Add Custom Domain To Blogger Settings


After you might have purchased your domain name here or somewhere else and configured the A and CName records to point to Google, you must add the custom domain to your blog via Blogger publishing settings before the .blosgpot address of your Blogger blog can start redirecting automatically to your new custom domain.

Before you update your Blogger settings with your new custom domain, you must wait for your DNS settings to activate. You know if it has been activated when you see "Google error" displayed whenever you visit your new custom domain. If you attempt to change the Blogger publishing settings before the DNS changes activate, your blog will not be accessible but Blogger will let you know with a warning message.

How To Get Started

==> Login to your Blogger dashboard (New Blogger interface)

==> Go to Settings and click on the Basic tab. Find the area for "Publishing" as seen in the picture below:

Add a custom domain

==> Click the "Add a custom domain" link and you should see something similar to the picture below:

Advanced Settings

==>  Click on the "Switch to advanced settings" link and you will see something similar to the picture below:

Enter URL and save

==> Enter in the URL for your custom domain in the text box provided, and click Save.

That's all

Your blogspot.com address will soon redirect to your new custom domain -- be patient, as it might take up to 24 hours for the redirect to start working.  Atimes, it works immediately or after few minutes.

Some helpful notes:

  • If your new domain isn't taking you to your blog, wait another day or two to make sure all the DNS servers have been updated. If it still isn't working, contact your registrar to make sure you entered the DNS settings correctly or let me do it for you as explained here.
  • Your original Blogspot address will automatically forward to your new domain. That way, any existing links or bookmarks to your site will still work.
I hope this helps.

Cheers.




Comments

  1. Theodore5/19/2012

    Great info but what will I choose at the " Use a missing file host" option ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT ONE BOSS, I WILL CUSTOMISE MY BLOG TO CUSTOM DOMAIN THIS WEEK

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this jide keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. brother i registered a new domain for my blogspot since tuesday with syskay.com, i followed everything you said, but the domain is yet going all i am seeing is page error cannot server, pls what is the possible solution to this

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS JIDE I HAVE DONE IT AT LAST GOD BLESS FOR THE TIPS now www.mindtobillion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have fixed it successfully. Happy blogging bro

      Delete
  6. what is google dns nameserver

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tutorial from you. I am really in love with what you are doing

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm, sounds interesting. I'll look into it sometime this month. I really need a custom domain name for my blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do I edit DNS in godaddy to point to blogger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mail me. Will try and put up a tutorial on that though...

      Delete
  10. Oga Jide, thanks in advance for your help. I have just moved my blog where I discuss practical business ideas to custom domain but it is showing error whenever I try to access it with without www. What do I do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jide, if you move my blogspot to www.myblog.com will i still use blogger settings to upfate posts. My fear is that HTML and CSS tags are technical for me to apply on a website.
    Kindly advise. Thamks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JIDE this is awesome keep making it happen to open Nigerian to Internet opportunities

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and thanks for shared this useful information, you have very good writing skill and I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Love To Hear From You But Don't Spam Us With Links!

Want to be notified when I reply your comment? Tick the "Notify Me" box.

If your comment is unrelated to this post or you're trying to ask question about an old post, please drop it at our discussion platform here.

THANKS.