How I Manage Banking Profession With Blogging



This is a guest post compiled by Essien Ekpenyong for OgbongeBlog

We all know how bank job is hectic and tedious but I have been a success story when it comes to combining banking and blogging. This post is not to boast about my prowess in handling the two job functions but as a way to encourage everyone out there who has passion for blogging that he can succeed as a blogger no matter what.

Below are the key points that help me through my career as a banker and a blogger:

Set Your Priority

Of course I know where I pay my bills from. I am not a three digits earner in blogging yet but I know how much my bank is paying me so my priority should be my bank job. Any decline in it may be disastrous and we all know how banking job is delicate, it needs utmost care, concentration, efficiency and 100% thoroughness.

Choosing my Job over blogging automatically make me a ‘part-time blogger’. Setting your priority will also enable you to choose if you are a full time blogger or a part time

Time Management

The most important aspect of it all is time management. After prioritizing my job functions, I really need to manage my time effectively and efficiently. In Banking, we only know when we leave and we don’t know when we return. So to return on time, I have to be on top my game operationally. I have to concentrate wholly and basically on the job at hand so that I will come home on time for blogging.

I blog from 7pm to 9pm after returning from work. This duration of time is very important because I use it to make my research, type my blog post, and publish it on my Naija Tips blog. I also use it to read other blogs, comment on blogs.


Choose Appropriate Niche

For you to really succeed as a blogger and a banker, I really need to choose the niche that you have passion for and not an expiry niche like entertainment and news. That is why I choose technology, blogging tips and career.

Advantages of blogging on this niche are;
  • A post on tips and tutorial can be use overtime and it won’t expire and thus, you can re-share it for your audience when you don’t have the time to post.
  • After developing your blog to a certain standard, i.e. having a high Page Rank (Pr), high traffic and exposure, you will surely have a Guest Post. All you have to do is to edit the post and publish it thus giving you more time to relax after a hectic bank job


I want to conclude that you should take blogging as a passion but not an avenue to make money. See blogging as an avenue to add value depending on what you share. The moment you take blogging as a means of making money, and if the money is not coming, you will surely get frustrated and your blogging desire will die.

Being a blogger and a banker is not easy, the only thing that kept me going is the passion and I can also state that being a Banker really helps my blogging desire because I have access to Naira and dollar cards to pay for my WebHosting, Domain Name etc.

Are you also combining blogging with another job? Kindly share how you cope with the two via comments.

If you have questions, contributions etc, you can also relay them via comments.

Cheers!

This post was written by +Essien Ekpenyong  . He is the owner of NaijaTips.com where he posts latest tips, tutorials and career guide.



Comments

  1. That is the grace of God and personal commitment at work in the life of our brother, i am impressed, let him keep it up, hard wise work does not kill but brings out the best of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Pst Bless. God's Blessing and favour are paramount. One need to be dedicated and hard working. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Nice and encouraging article. this days lots of people are flowing into blogging bcox they had that some gurus are earning from blogging , but when such persons fail to earn it within few months his/her desire fades. very educative post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats true Bro. A true must be able to go through a hard times of not earning anything. It takes passion to go through this time. To be a successful blogger, you need to be passionate about blogging. Thanks for commenting here

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7/11/2013

    I am quite overwhelmed at you! You are really a force to be reckoned with and believe me, I have received enough enthusiasm to press on. Thanks alot. How I wish this article is appearing on my blog... Kudos ogbonge, you are really a lucky blogger to have people posting meaningful guest posts for you. I will write one for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great Job, combinning the two together is going to be hectic indeed but there is grace that covers you most especially when it's coupled with passion. Blogging is not easy to be sincere but it worth spending time on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't earn 3 digits a month or a year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a month. Ofcourse, accumulatively in a year, my earnings make sense

      Delete
  6. Without the passion, one would quit blogging within months. Nice tips Essien, this might alos applies to students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, it does apply to students. Just imagine what you will gain after graduation. It's a huge investement

      Delete
  7. Nice one man. I admire your time management i also strive to do so as well but my problem is always the disappointments from PHCN. How do you cope with that? do you have your own Generator set?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cyracks, PHCN can be frustrating at times but I have my Generator. I use it anytime am blogging απd when there is no light. I can as well charge my ipad in the office απd use it in the evening

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7/15/2013

    Pls Jide and Essien, can i copy this post and put it on my website to inspire my viewers. Wuld put a link bck to ogbongeblog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7/15/2013

    you've really said it all especially when you said "take blogging as passion and not for the money behind it". Nice post wealth means

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Essien,You made a nice point in your post. But their is one area i really do not consider appropriate, and that is the area of calling some niches "Expiry." That looks pretty unacceptable and may scare up some up coming bloggers from focusing on that particular facet of life. All niches are good. And every ones style is deeply appreciated. So do not cultivate such thoughts towards entertainment niche as that is really not convincing. Beside that, i think you just got the determination of making it with your blogging career. Kudos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Love To Hear From You But Don't Spam Us With Links!

Want to be notified when I reply your comment? Tick the "Notify Me" box.

If your comment is unrelated to this post or you're trying to ask question about an old post, please drop it at our discussion platform here.

THANKS.