You Don't Have Enough Privileges To Configure Internet Connection Sharing Error on Windows 7 Starter : The Solution


Earlier today, I set up an ad hoc network on my Solar-powered Samsung NC215 netbook, running on Windows 7 Starter; so I can share my glo data plan internet connection with my other devices (iPad, Infinix phone etc). I managed to do this by typing "adhoc" into the Windows search bar in the Start Menu.


However, after it was successfully created and ready to use, I saw a recommended option to "Turn on internet connection sharing". After clicking the button to enable the option, a new page was displayed with the message :

"you don't have enough privileges to configure internet connection sharing"



I was surprised because I logged on to the netbool as an administrator and I've used the same trick to set up wireless internet connection on my HP laptop.

After a quick google search for solutions to the problem, I discovered that it's a limitation imposed by Microsoft on PCs running on Windows 7 Starter. There is a Windows 7 edition compariosn chart on Wikipedia that clearly states that internet connectiong sharing (ICS) is not supported on Windows 7 Starter.

So, What Is The Solution?

You have to upgrade the Windows 7 Starter to at least Windows 7 Home Premium to unlock the limitations. Alternatively, you can install Windows XP on a seperate partition on the netbook.

I hope this helps.

If you know any other way of making the internet connection sharing to work on Windows 7 Starter without upgrading, kindly share via comments.



Comments

  1. yea the solution to the problem i encountered today is been posted. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/22/2014

    Hello Jide.
    I'm new to Addynamo Paid Tweets and i'm really confused about how it works. I was told that once you have any Tweet Available for Review, you're to set your price but i don't know how much to set. I have about 580 followers on twitter. Please how much should i set??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Love To Hear From You But Don't Spam Us With Links!

Want to be notified when I reply your comment? Tick the "Notify Me" box.

If your comment is unrelated to this post or you're trying to ask question about an old post, please drop it at our discussion platform here.

THANKS.