How To Disable WP.me Shortlinks On WordPress


Shortlinks are a quick way to get short and simple links to your posts and pages. These are perfect for use on Twitter, Facebook, and over SMS where every character counts.


If you have the Jetpack plugin installed on your WordPress blog and the “WP.me Shortlinks” module is enabled, WP.me shortlinks will be generated for each one of your posts, pages, and attachment pages by default.

Hence, whenever you edit an existing post or page and click on “Get Shortlink” button, you will get a shortlink that includes the wp.me domain, whose functionality is similar to other URL shortening services.

jetpack url shortening feature

If you prefer a shortlink that contains your domain name and not the WP.me url, then you have to deactivate the “WP.me Shortlinks” module via JetPack settings.

Once deactivated, you will be reverted back to use the default WordPress URL shortening feature. What the default WordPress URL shortener does is simply replace your full permalink with the post or page ID.

Note that either way though, using the default WordPress URL shortener or the Jetpack powered WP.me option, you do not get the benefits of tracking or custom branding that some URL shortening services offer.

Kudos to +Desmond Nwosu  for the tip.



Comments

  1. Thank you very much bro. Sigh, I really needed this. Would try it on my blog now !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Love To Hear From You But Don't Spam Us With Links!

Want to be notified when I reply your comment? Tick the "Notify Me" box.

If your comment is unrelated to this post or you're trying to ask question about an old post, please drop it at our discussion platform here.

THANKS.