wp-login.php Redirects to 404 Page? Try This Trick


After a client upgraded his site to the latest WordPress, he couldn't log in via "wp-admin" as it keeps redirecting to 404 page. He contacted me and I got it fixed for him. So, in this post, I've decided to share with you, the steps I took in solving the problem.



STEPS

==> Signed in to cPanel
==> Navigated to "File Manager" > "wp-content"
==> Changed the name of the "plugins" folder to "plugins.off" (whichever name would be fine)


I tried to sign into WordPress dashboard and I logged in successfully without any redirection. Hence, I concluded the problem is probably with one of the plugins. So, I continued with the steps below:


==> Logged out of WordPress dashboard
==> Signed in back to cPanel
==> Navigated to "File Manager" > "wp-content"
==> Renamed the "plugin.off" folder name back to "plugins"
==> Opened the "plugins" folder
==> Renamed the folder of the plugin which I think could be the culprit of the problem.

Thereafter, I was able to sign in to the WordPress dashboard without been redirected to 404 page.

Within the WordPress dashboard, I navigated to "Plugins", and deleted the culprit plugin and its files and re-installed a fresh copy of the plugin.

That's all.

If you're experiencing this problem, try this trick and let me know if it works for you.

Have fun!




Comments

  1. Wat is 'cPanel' please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cPanel is a control panel available on hosting accounts and servers. It lets you easily manage many aspects of your account, including the files, applications, and email hosted on your account or server.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We Love To Hear From You But Don't Spam Us With Links!

Want to be notified when I reply your comment? Tick the "Notify Me" box.

If your comment is unrelated to this post or you're trying to ask question about an old post, please drop it at our discussion platform here.

THANKS.