New Blogger Custom Domain and CNAME Setup Guide


A client paid me today to set up a custom domain for his Blogger blog. I registered the domain name, created the normal CNAME (ghs.google.com) and created four separate A-records which point to four different Google IPs. (216.239.32.21; 216.239.34.21; 216.239.36.21 and 216.239.38.21). After I confirmed that the DNS servers have been updated, I decided to add the custom domain to the blog's settings but to my surprise, the settings FAILED to save.

I noticed this error message "We are not able to resolve www.*******.com. It might take up to 24 hours for new domains to start working. Please try again later" on the page and right under the error message, I saw an instruction that I should enter two CNAMEs in my DNS settings.

I followed the instruction and within a short time, the blogspot address started redirecting perfectly to the custom domain. In fact, the naked domain also started redirecting to the "www" without me ticking the redirection option in Blogger Settings.

Thereafter, I decided to comb the web to find out why we now have to add two CNAMEs to get Blogger custom domain working instead of the normal one CNAME (ghs.google.com). Fortunately, I stumbled on a post at Google Groups where a Blogger explained why a domain name might still be in a "12" / "404" State.

Right there, I discovered that Blogger has updated their CNAME setup settings for Custom domains which now require that you have two CNAME records entered in your DNS settings for your custom domain to work with your Blogspot blog. The update was released after Blogger restored the custom domain publishing option which was down for some weeks.

Hence, moving forward, you have to follow the steps below to add the second CNAME to your DNS:
  1. Enter your custom domain into the appropriate field located on the Blogger's Settings (Publishing) page
  2. Click the "settings instructions" link below the field. (It is important that you only click the settings
     instructions link after you enter your domain, as the unique record is generated based on the entered URL.)
  3. You’ll be directed to a page which will have your two unique records displayed. Copy the information for use in the next step.
  4. Depending on your domain register, follow the relevant instructions for creating a new CNAME just as you did for ghs.google.com, but now instead using the unique info from step 3.#
  5. After updating your CNAME info, head back to Blogger and click Save to finalize your custom domain setup. If Saving does not work, then you’ll have to wait a little while and try again. Saving won’t be possible until the DNS changes have fully updated, and some registrars may take up to an hour or more before that happens.
Please note also that some registrars may take up to 24 hours to update changes to DNS so the blog may not be served immediately on your domain.

That's all.

If you have contribution or questions to ask, feel free to use the comment form below.

You can also contact me if you prefer I set it up for you.

Cheers!




Comments

  1. Prashant9/28/2012

    What will happen if I enter my domain name and click SAVE without clicking the "settings instructions"link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will see an error message similar to the one stated in my post above, with instructions for you to set up two CNAMEs for the domain name.

      Delete
  2. thanks for the post sir .i have been on this for up to a week now all to no avail.heading to give it a trial

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/28/2012

    I HAVE TRIED IT BUT STILL GIVING ME THE ERROR.I AM TIRED OF THIS.CAN I MAIL U TO HELP ME FIX THIS?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send me your number pls, I need ur help pls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google now giving us isse right? after all their "wahala" thanks jawe
    http://updatenewsarena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jide for the wonderful information, will the changes affect those that are already have a custom domain? As in this information, is it for the bloggers that there blog still end with blogspot (not custom domain)that are about to make it a custom domain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can access your blog using your custom domain with and without www, that means you are not affected.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jide, After Following Step 1 and 2, Blogger is not redirecting me to a page with "Copy the information for use in the next step". Instead its giving me an option:

    Where would you like to host your blog?
    On a top-level domain (www.example.com).
    On a subdomain (foo.example.com)

    Please Help, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will only see the options stated above if you click on the "instructions" link in STEP 4 above.

      For you to be redirected to where you will get the details of the second CNAME, add your custom domain and click on the "settings instructions" link below the field where you entered your custom domain name.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10/01/2012

    i bought a domain name. but how do i park my blogspot site to my custom domain name. and i still want to use blogger for my updates. . . i sent i a mail on facebook but uve not replied. . . . .samson olowu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Park or you mean redirecting the blogspot.com address to your custom domain? This post guides you on the new steps you have to take to make your custom domain works with your blogspot address.

      Delete
  9. thanks for replying. i own both www.wapjoint.com and www.wapjoint.blogspot.com i av done all the DNS and CNAME stuff. now my blogspot is redirecting to www.wapjoint.com but it is displaying the old index page . i want it to display my blogspot, but with the name www.wapjoint.com . .help. samson olowu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10/04/2012

    ok now the problem is half solved. www.wapjoint.com goes but wapjoint.com doesnt go. . . . dnt know what 2do. . .am using cpanel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jide, I appreciate your reply but I already did the STEP 4 even before landing here in your site. The problem, Blogger is still giving me this -

    Where would you like to host your blog?
    On a top-level domain (www.example.com).
    On a subdomain (foo.example.com)

    Whenever I type the domain name I bought
    and click settings instructions

    Please Help, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have done all tricks but in vain...At last, I posted on Google groups with the hope that someone will will help me solve the issue, but am still waiting. I am eeking your kind help; do read the issue I posted in Google Groups (http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/blogger/something-is-broken/_MelmyjXwwI) and please do help me know where the problem lies..Waiting for your reply..!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice share. Keep it up......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10/22/2012

    Thks jide I will try it and get back to u.

    Pple like me that makes use of cpanel

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have try these sir, i still have these error message. on redirecting it ti my .com name

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Oga Jide, how do I set my domain to always go through www

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this post, do you know how I can change the pry domain of my godaddy hosting plan?

    ReplyDelete
  18. How long does it take for a nameserver change to take effect? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Love To Hear From You But Don't Spam Us With Links!

Want to be notified when I reply your comment? Tick the "Notify Me" box.

If your comment is unrelated to this post or you're trying to ask question about an old post, please drop it at our discussion platform here.

THANKS.