Backup Firefox Browsing History and Restore On Another Computer Without Software


Earlier, I explained how to use MozBackup to backup and restore Firefox extensions and more. Yesterday, I tried using it to backup and restore my Firefox browsing history on another computer but it just didn't work for me.  I tried another trick, without using the software and I was able to get it done.


So, in this post, I'm sharing with you, how to backup Firefox browsing history and how to restore it on another computer without using any software. Just follow me through the steps below:



  1. Click the Start button on the taskbar of your Windows PC, type "Run" into the search bar and  press the "Enter" key on your keyboard. 
  2.  Copy and paste the following into the Run prompt and press Enter: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
  3. A folder will appear. This is your Firefox profile folder that contains all of your bookmarks, browsing history, settings and other information. Copy the folder to a transfer media (e.g. a Flash drive) 
  4. Copy the folder from the Flash drive to the desktop (or any location) of the other computer (Computer 2)
  5. Ensure Firefox browser is closed on computer2 and repeat steps 1 and 2 on the computer
  6. Once deleted, drag the content in the folder saved earlier to your flash drive from computer1 to the empty folder on Computer 2
  7. Launch the Firefox browser on computer 2 and you should see option to restore previous session. If not, go to "history" > "restore previous session".

Your Firefox browsing history will be restored as well as your bookmarks, extensions etc.

I hope it works for you.

NB: If you keep getting "file in use" while deleting the content of the profile folder, go to Windows "Task Manager" and end the Firefox process.




Comments

  1. If i have known this guide before i formatted my computer, i would have back up the history and restore it back on the newly formatted system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. Always had issues in exporting firefox history. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, I was going to change my laptop and I thought I have to start over without any search history and bookmarks. Thanks Helped a lot

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Love To Hear From You But Don't Spam Us With Links!

Want to be notified when I reply your comment? Tick the "Notify Me" box.

If your comment is unrelated to this post or you're trying to ask question about an old post, please drop it at our discussion platform here.

THANKS.